The support of the GET.invest Finance Catalyst is available to applicants that meet the following criteria:
- Investment size: Aggregated investment size over a period of approximately 5 years should be of sufficient size that professional independent transaction advisory services can add value, such that they may benefit the client and can be appreciated by financiers and where the services of the Finance Catalyst advisors are complementary to internal resources of the client.
- Focus on clean energy solutions and business models: The major part of the scope must be a clean energy system investment, i.e. renewable energy or energy efficiency equivalent as well as innovative themes. This includes electricity generation, electricity distribution (in the case of mini-grids and stand-alone systems), mechanical energy and industrial / process heat or cooling, clean cooking and appliance products in the off-grid sector, as well as green hydrogen/PtX, pure storage and e-mobility projects. Hybrid systems with a reasonable share of renewable generation capacity are also eligible. Likewise, energy digital/smart-data systems developers can benefit from our support. Transmission projects or biofuels used for transportation are not eligible.
- Revenue generating: Proposals must be conceptualised as revenue-generating and meet a minimum economic viability and sustainability threshold.
- Location: Applicants must be located in (or proceeds to be used in) sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean and/or the Pacific region.
- Focus on private sector: Eligible applicants may be private sector developers (local and international), NGOs, universities, parastatal companies, government or research institutions. Ultimately, projects will need to have a significant private-sector ownership (or equivalent) to allow for financing with debt or equity, possibly combined with other funding such as grants or public-sector contributions. Such private-sector engagement can be developed during the advisory support.
For applicants requesting accelerated Covid-19-related, the criteria outlined under Generation capacity and ticket size are substituted with the following minimum criteria:
- the equivalent of €100,000 of turnover over the past 12 months as a proxy to justify the allocation of individual coaches and the associated cost;
- a minimum of 5 staff employed (salary or results-based) as a proxy for the job impact of the crisis, and as an indicator for the cash needs of the company;
- the business can demonstrate it had a sustainable funding plan at the end of February until 1 May 2020 (i.e. no funding gap before 1 May 2020).