SEFEA: Sustainable Energy Forum for East Africa
The East African Centre of Excellence for Renewable Energy and Efficiency (EACREEE) and the Alliance for Rural Electrification (ARE) will be co-organising the second edition of the Sustainable Energy Forum for East Africa (SEFEA) on 22-24 June 2021. The event is supported by GET.invest and UNIDO and will be held in English and French with simultaneous translations.
SEFEA will raise awareness about the progress made by EAC member states toward achieving sustainable energy targets set for 2030. It will also focus on achieving the vision of the EAC for a prosperous regional sustainable energy market, which is contingent upon harnessing the region’s vast renewable energy and energy efficiency potentials. A particular focus will be given to the role of decentralised renewable energy (DRE) in powering the EAC region.
For the first time, GET.invest Matchmaking will be available to the participants before, during and after the event. This means that virtual meetings can be scheduled anytime at the participants’ convenience, providing additional opportunities to connect with investors, technology providers, project developers & innovators in the sector.
SEFEA will be organised over 3 days with four overarching themes:
- Thematic Session I: Powering rural job creation in EAC with decentralised renewable energies
- Thematic Session II: Energy Efficient Lighting and Appliances in EAC and SADC (EELA)
- Thematic Session III: Innovative financing of productive uses of energy and cold chain
- Thematic Session IV: Scaling up access to clean cooking in the EAC region
The Forum will feature:
- Presentations from public sector stakeholders on progress towards achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the role of off-grid renewables in achieving these goals by 2030;
- Interactive topical discussions with public and private sector stakeholders pertaining to the key themes of SEFEA;
- Pitches from selected private sector companies and start-ups offering innovative off-grid solutions and business models to energise the EAC region;
- Virtual 1:1 meetings during the GET.invest Matchmaking before, during and after the event;
- A deep-dive workshop focusing on DRE in Burundi.