Meet us there
ALER Talks: The Role of National Banks in Financing the Renewable Energy Sector
On 14 October, the second edition of the ALER Talks will take place, supported by GET.invest. This edition will discuss the “Role of National Banks in Financing the Renewable Energy Sector”.
The reason for choosing this theme is that investments in renewable energy in Portuguese-speaking countries, like the rest of Africa, mostly reach independent energy producers (IPP) with origin in multilateral entities or Financial Institutions for Development (DFI), due to the favourable conditions that these types of entities can offer, in project model finance, foreign capital and foreign currency.
In this context, the aim of the second ALER conversation is to:
- Promote national private funding for different types of renewable energy investments
- Inform and raise local banks’ awareness of opportunities and trends in the renewable energy sector
- Mobilise domestic funders to venture into segments of the renewable energy market
- Bring together and promote dialogue between creditors and beneficiaries of local financing of renewable energy projects, contributing to the identification of barriers and solutions
- Present and disseminate the initiatives that have already been developed and are planned in the various Portuguese-speaking countries
- Share ideas and best practices among local banks in Portuguese-speaking African countries on how to finance the renewable energy sector
- Contribute to the development of a sustainable renewable energy market by increasing local content.
“ALER Talks” are an event in the form of a short and informal webinar on a current topic moderated by ALER’s Executive Director, Isabel Cancela de Abreu, and have a quarterly frequency. As in the first ALER Talk (more info here), registration is free but mandatory and open to the general public.